[r-t] Peals of spliced / methods committe query

Philip Saddleton pabs at cantab.net
Thu Dec 16 18:19:49 UTC 2004

Philip Earis wrote:

>The relevant CC Decision is:
>=====
>(D) Peal Ringing
>[c] Peals in more than one method
>(1)Compositions in more than one method in which the change of method
>occurs at the lead-head and/or the half-lead shall be called 'Spliced'.
>In the case of compositions containing changes of method at both the
>half-lead and the lead-head, all the methods shall be symmetrical about
>the half-lead with no two of them differing only in the places made at
>the half-lead and/or the lead-head.
>=====
>
>In the composition for the 478 methods, some of the methods only
>differed "in the places made at the half-lead and/or the lead-head".
>Thus the peal does not conform to the decisions and should therefore be
>kicked out.  This seems very clear to me.
>
>Tony Smith in his letter says that the peal can stand, but cannot be
>called 'spliced'.  However, the first sentence of the decision above
>means that the composition was 'spliced', but just doesn't conform and
>hence is not valid.
>
>So what is Tony's reasoning?

Tony has provided some historical background: it seems from this that
the intention of the Decision is as he interprets it, but I think that
the final amendment tends to confuse rather than clarify the previous
proposal.

----
Extract from the JOINT COMMITTEE'S REPORT ON DECISIONS:-
2. Recommendations for revision of decisions on peal ringing.
C. Peals in more than one method.

1. Peals in more than one method shall be called Spliced if the methods are
so joined that the leads of the methods remain intact, the changes of method
being at the lead-head or half-lead but not both in the same composition.

Additionally, the changes of method may occur at both lead-head and
half-lead in the same composition, provided that all the methods in the
composition are symmetrical, and that there is at least one complete lead,
from lead-head to lead-head and/or from half-lead to half-lead, between each
change of method, or provided that all the methods in the composition are
symmetrical, with no two of them differing only in the places made at the
half-lead or at the lead-end, and that there is at least one complete lead,
from lead-head to lead-head and/or from half-lead to half-lead, of each
method in the peal.

RW April 25, 1969 page 323
----

Extract from the minutes of the St Albans Council meeting:-
(D) PEAL RINGING
C. Peals in more than one method.

1. Peals in more than one method shall be called Spliced if the methods are
so joined that the leads of the methods remain intact, the changes of method
being at the lead-head or half-lead but not both in the same composition.

(The Council agreed to the request of the committee, that they give further
consideration to compositions in which the changes of method occur at both
front and back.)

RW December 19, 1969, page 987

----
Extract from REPORT OF THE JOINT COMMITTEE ON REVISION OF DECISIONS:-
Recommendations for Decision on Peal Ringing.
1. Change C1, Spliced Compositions, to read:-

"Compositions in more than one method shall be termed Spliced, when the
methods are so joined that the leads of the methods remain intact, the
changes of method being at the lead-head or half-lead but not both in the
same composition.

Compositions in which the changes of method occur at both lead-head and
half-lead shall be termed Spliced, provided all the methods in the
composition are symmetrical about the half-lead, with no two of them
differing only in the places made at the half-lead and/or the lead-head."

RW May 1, 1970, page 330

----
Extract from Minutes of Ilkley Council meeting:-

The report of the Joint Committee (R.W., May 1, 1970, page 330) was
presented. The following amendment, being a new definition of spliced
compositions, was adopted:-

Compositions in more than one method in which the change of method occurs at
the lead-head and/or the half-lead shall be called "spliced". In the case of
compositions containing changes of method at both the half-lead and
lead-head, all the methods shall be symmetrical about the half-lead with no
two of them differing only in the places made at the half-lead and/or the
lead-head.

Subject to this, the report was adopted.

RW February 5, 1971, page 124
----