[r-t] 23-spliced (long message)

Don Morrison dfm at mv.com
Wed Dec 29 15:30:59 UTC 2004

From: Graham John <graham at changeringing.co.uk>
 > The risk then is producing a composition containing methods which
 > work, but nobody wants to ring. I tried that 10 years ago with 14
 > atw Surprise Royal - and guess what - it hasn't been rung.

I've put at

 http://www.ringing.org/popular-methods.txt

a list of (to first approximation) those treble dodging major methods
that have been rung to three or more peals since 1 January 1990. Of
course such a list will include a lot of relative dross, since
Cambridge above methods, simple variations on popular methods, and
methods with more familiar lead end orders will dominate. But it may
be a useful piece of information to include in your thinking if you
want things at least some ringers have been interested in ringing for
more than just a one time name grab.

This is extracted from the Felstead stuff, and thus is a little skewed
in a several ways, such as

- it includes only tower bell peals

- there are some inconsistencies in the way some method names are
recorded, so some peals may be overlooked, or some methods may appear
under two slightly different names; these numbers include things
ending (in the Felstead stuff) with any of " Surprise Major",
" Delight Major" or " Treble Bob Major"

- there are, of course, errors in the Felstead data, though for
aggregate counting stuff like this I suspect they are pretty much
insignificant.

Sadly the Felstead stuff is currently set up so that folks can't
easily do queries like this themselves (sorry!), but I'd be happy to
do a cut at it some other way if you'd prefer. I limited it to peals
since 1990 just because I figured that would reflect current practice
and taste better than including older peals.

--
Don Morrison <dfm at mv.com>
http://www.ringing.org