[r-t] Re: exceptions

Robin Woolley robin at robinw.org.uk
Sat Nov 6 09:03:21 UTC 2004

London S Major is a valid extension of the minor - except it was until May
30th. Doesn't go to royal tho' as everyone knows.

Some of the plain minor method have invalid extensions, such as Buxton which
is either Fishwick or Scholfield at the major stage but the extension
decision was only advisory to start with!!

b.t.w., I've been away so here's a final thought on one topic.

As regards the calling round of minor methods, as has been said, all
in-course coursing orders can be brought round (at hand or back at the lead
end) with one call. This is intuitively obvious since there are 12 such
c/o's, two of which give rounds and the five calling positions take care of
the other 10. A similar argument shows that, regarding out-of-course c/o's,
two must require both a bob and a single.

One of the annoying things about the state of ringing theory is that often
we are 're-inventing the wheel' due to lack of available written material,
so I spent five or so minutes repeating work I did 30-odd years ago to find
these out-of-course solutions.

In the appended table, the second & third cols. contain c/o's which give
rounds (at back & hand respec.) when the call in the first col. is used.

        B       H
sW    2354    3245
s4    4253    5342
sB    4325    5234
s3    2435    3524
sH    5423    4532

The 'spare' c/o's are 3452 and, not surprisingly, its reversal, 2543. The
choice of the first call is then arbitrary.

As has been remarked elsewhere, the single call will not necessarily give
the shortest touch.

Robin.