[r-t] Definition of calls

Ben Willetts ben at benjw.org.uk
Wed Oct 27 23:59:14 UTC 2004

MBD:
> It would seem perfectly reasonable and helpful to have some
> OED-style definitions along the lines of "a bob is a call /normally/
> made by moving, adding or removing a place..."

If, as you say, part/all of the reason for having a definition of "bob" and
"single" is that it would be helpful for learners, could we not go one step
further and say that, for regular methods with lead-end place notation 12,
the bob is normally a 14 instead, and for regular methods with lead-ends 1n,
the bob is normally either 14 or 1(n-2)?

That would take care of the vast majority of methods - the most common
anomalies being Grandsire (twin-hunt) and Stedman (principle).  By the time
the learner starts mucking around with other anomalous methods, he/she
should be able to cope with a general definition of calls instead.

Ben