Record lengths [Was: Re: [r-t] Extensions and calls acting on more than one row]

Philip Saddleton pabs at cantab.net
Thu Oct 28 21:42:19 UTC 2004

Richard Smith <richard at ex-parrot.com> wrote at 14:40:04 on Thu, 28 Oct
2004
>Philip Saddleton wrote:
>
>> You didn't - it was apiece of paper provided by a nice fresher. I
>>still have  it, and it says:
>>
>> Records
>> -------
>
>[snip]
>
>This, I think, is a major amiguity in current decisions, and one that
>could easily be resolved.
>
>The current decision on record length peals, (D).D, states that "the
>Record Length Peal in a method or group of methods on a given number of
>bells shall be the longest length complying with parts A to D".  What
>precisely is meant by a "group of methods"?

[snip]

>It seems that, as this is issue of interpretation of the decisions, the
>Methods Committee need to clarify how this decision is supposed to be
>interpreted.  Are any of the Methods Committee members on this list
>able to comment?

It is the Records Committee who determine what is recorded as a record,
and to whom all peals of over 10,000 changes are referred. The RC terms
of reference are

"To maintain a record of the first peal in each method on each number of
bells for both tower bells and handbells and subsequent record length
peals together with compositions used; a record of new methods included
in multi-method peals; and a record of the progressive number of methods
rung in peals in different groups of methods."

[This doesn't seem to include record lengths in more than one method,
although "groups of methods" still needs to be clarified.]

We should encourage the RC to take a broad interpretation of what is a
group of methods, so certainly Surprise, Delight and Treble-Dodging are
worthy of separate records (though I don't think that e.g. the
Treble-Dodging record could not be the same performance as the Surprise
record). But there are other groups that are generally accepted, such as
the Standard 8, or the "Book" of Minor methods.

Tony Peake uses various categories in his record of progressive numbers
of methods at different stages at

http://www.ringing.info/tony-peake.html

e.g. the most Minor methods rung in 7 extents, the shortest length
containing all of the Standard 41, the most methods rung in an atw peal.

--
Regards
Philip