[r-t] Little Bell Music

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 23:11:31 UTC 2004

I suspect that crus caught on because they form a neat group which is easy
to count. If you ask people to rank their preferred musical combinations,
you get common themes, but much variation of individual preferences. After
discussing this on r-c a couple of years ago, it became clear that a similar
measure to crus would be equally contentious. Nevertheless, I felt that such
a neat and simple grouping like crus could have some use, so coined the term
"cascades" and defined it as "a measure for little bell music, particularly
useful on higher numbers  i.e. the rows ending in xxxx1234, xxxx2345,
xxxx3456, xxxx4321, xxxx5432, and xxxx6543, giving a maximum of 144 on eight
bells."

I am sure that Richard (A) will argue for inclusion of 7654s and 4567s, but
this seemed to be drifting from the "little bell" tag, and there is no
reason why these cannot be identified separately. I also agree that 1234s
and 4321s tend to be incidental in most compositions of TD methods, but they
form a neater set and inclusion is easily justified.

The alternative is to list the runs explicitly, and my preferred method is
to make the double counting of four bell runs within five bell runs
explicit, as illustrated below (note: 30/14 means back/front).

5040 Yorkshire Surprise Royal
by Graham A C John

23456  M   W   H
25634  2   -   -