[r-t] Hudson stuff

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Fri Sep 17 19:32:06 UTC 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Richard Grimmett wrote:

> What's the chances the list could come up with a simple guide to the
> notations used so everyone outside Cambridge, or not a mathematician,
> could at least get something out of this please.  Please don't forget
> that many of our best compositions came from non-mathematicians or
> Oxbridge graduates.
>
> Thanks for reading this
> Clarrie

I assume what you are referring to is elementary group theory and its
applications to change-ringing.  Certainly one doesn't need a mathematics
degree from Cambridge or anywhere else to understand this subject.  But,
at the risk of sounding patronising, neither is it, I believe, something
one can pick up overnight from a "simple guide to the notations".  It
requires some study, and (ideally) carefully written texts to study from.
Fortunately these already exist and are readily available.  As already
mentioned, reading Price's pamphlet is a very good first step.  (Although
there are a few things I don't like about it, it covers most of the
relevant stuff from a non-technical perspective).  Also good (though less
relevant to these discussions) is the CC handbook of composition.  And
then there are innumerable elementary group theory text books.

On the other hand, if you don't understand a particular term someone has
used, just ask away....

cheers, Ander