[r-t] What's the meaning of a method having aparticularfalsecourse head

Andrew Johnson andrew_johnson at uk.ibm.com
Wed Apr 27 13:13:48 UTC 2005

Is the table of the 'groups' of false course heads available online?
Some of the groups are mentioned in Wilfred Wilson's book 'Change
Ringing', but that list isn't complete.

http://www.ringing.info/universal-comps.html
says:
To find a composition in this book, first find out the false course-heads
of the method. For rung methods, this information can be found in the
printed Central Council collection or using a computer program such as
Method Master. The complete false course-head (FCH) information for a
method is in 3 parts: In-course, tenors-together FCH, represented by
upper-case letters 'A' to 'U' Out-of-course, tenors-together FCH,
represented by lower-case letters 'a' to 'f' Tenors-parted FCH,
represented by the upper-case letters 'X', 'Y' and 'Z' Now look in the
index section for the method's lead-head group to find a composition that
has ticks in all the columns for the method's FCH.

so I now know what the names of the groups are, but not the details.

The online method collection
http://www.methods.org.uk/method-collections/surprise/surp8.txt
doesn't list the false course heads for the methods.

I know I could take the place notation and put it into MethGen
http://www.saddleton.freeuk.com/software/methgen.htm
but that is laborious.

If the Central Council were to put the details on their website would that
be a Methods Committee, Peal Compositions Committee or Information and
Communications Technology Committee responsibility?

Andrew Johnson