[r-t] Three consecutive blows

Philip Earis Earisp at rsc.org
Mon Dec 5 13:46:41 UTC 2005

MBD:
"I thought Snow Tiger was clean-proof, Philip..."

For a suitable definition of clean-proof...

"No, you're right, there are some amazing possibilities available if you
allow three-blow places. I found some of these when I was searching for
Maximus coursers, but I figured I could only have one "new" thing at a
time,
otherwise people wouldn't ring the methods. So I stuck to the TE's at
backstroke"

A methods along these lines would be &-5-4.5-2.3.2-7.1.6-E.0.E-8.9-8-1,
1 = 1T0E89674523 (also the corresponding 11ths/2nds method), which
weighs in with a gargantuan 240 <4-runs> (compared to 236 for
yesterday's Avon-esque method).

For a more Snow Tiger flavour, you could go for a
&3-5.4-5-3.2-7.1.6-E.0-8-9.8-0.E,2 which boasts a cool 234 of the bad
boys.

"However, perhaps I was wrong - perhaps going the three-blow route would
lead into the most productive result space. I'd be damn good for
cyclics, too"

Aye. I once came up with something with like this with three blows.
I'll investigate more later.

"I suppose the only downside is that the bluelines never look very nice"

Have you been drinking, sunshine?  They're gorgeous.  And don't you just
love the effect where you start with a 23456 run near the beginning of
the lead, and gradually add bells to the run until the halflead,
beautifully increasing the texture to a wall of sound? Mmmmm. Similarly
the reverse in the second half-lead.

James:
"Phil - just tried to access your website and got a whole diatribe on
why
Iranians have the right to nuclear power, down with Israel US etc etc.
Have you converted on us? Will composers producing peals not containing
sufficient 4 bell runs be subject to fatwah? Or have you just had your
website hacked??"

Sadly I've had my website hacked.  I've drawing up a long list of
suspects.  I'm concerned it's blatant intimidation by men in high
places, and may bring it up at the Central Council meeting next year (if
they haven't done my in by then).  Come to think of it, Tony Smith does
look a bit like an Ayatollah. Still, he's well known for being a
progressive liberal so I doubt it's him.

I'll look into the cyclic method you sent later...

DISCLAIMER:

This communication (including any attachments) is intended for the use of the addressee only and may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material. It may not be relied upon or disclosed to any other person without the consent of the RSC. If you have received it in error, please contact us immediately. Any advice given by the RSC has been carefully formulated but is necessarily based on the information available, and the RSC cannot be held responsible for accuracy or completeness. In this respect, the RSC owes no duty of care and shall not be liable for any resulting damage or loss. The RSC acknowledges that a disclaimer cannot restrict liability at law for personal injury or death arising through a finding of negligence. The RSC does not warrant that its emails or attachments are Virus-free: Please rely on your own screening.