[r-t] Re: Real

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Wed Feb 23 14:04:40 UTC 2005

Robin Woolley wrote:

> So, according to pabs, Real Double Dublin is allowed, but not Real Bristol
>
> "Real Double Bob surely means it is really Double - but why is Bristol with
> half-lead calls any more really Bristol?"

I don't think PABS is disputing that a suitable composition
of Bristol can be a "Real Double" composition.  What I think
he is saying is that, the "Real" adjective in "Real Double
Bob" or "Real Double Dublin" is applying to the Double (i.e.
the composition is "really double") rather than to the
method name (which would presumably mean that it was really
Double Bob).

As Bristol (unfortunately) isn't prefixed "Double", a "Real"
prefix can only be referring to the method name which is
meaningless -- as PABS says, "why is Bristol with half-lead
calls any more really Bristol"?

So it makes sense to talk about a Real Double composition of
Bristol, or about Real Double Dublin, but the term Real
Bristol is nonsensical.

RAS