[r-t] Re: Decisions

Robin Woolley robin at robinw.org.uk
Thu Jan 6 15:39:27 UTC 2005

As regards the missing out of path 'EF' in 1953, I believe that this is due
to the same reason as the omission of 'static above'. In 1953, neither had
been used. By this time, less than 40 surprise methods had been extended
beyond their lowest possible stage and the number of Alliance methods RUNG
on more than six bells was a mere three - none of which were 'extensions'.
The committee said "The committee's conclusions are based on ... certain
rules suggested by accepted standard methods of varying types." They had no
'precedents' to go on. I believe the omission was deliberate, but Tony
Smith wrote in a letter he believes static above was omitted by mistake.

As regards Principles, I meant there is no reason for not allowing extending
'lead' length per se, but, as with Little methods, static lead lengths would
continue to be allowed. A good example problem is, of course, Little^n
Penultimus.

Regarding Vancouver, classically, no extension would be allowed. A static
extension could only have been either SGH or SHI, both of which would
preserve 12 in position H. An expanding extension similarly could only be
EGH or EHI since, in this type of extension, we have to keep and seconds
place in the same position. In the case of the static extensions, 12 would
be repeated in position J whilst in the expanding extensions, it would be
preserved in H and become 14 in position J.

Is 5AB/2DE a valid extension? If it is, this seems to be a departure from
expanding extension including 12, that this particular place notation must
be preserved in the same position. The word used was 'corresponding'. (See
Roger Bailey's paper.)

Finally, a request for info: what are the sporadic extensions of London? I
know about EDE/EEF and SBC/EFG.

pabs gives a very good example of an Alliance method, so I shall give it the
amount of consideration it deserves and reply, with counter example,
tomorrow.

Best wishes

Robin.