[r-t] RE: Stedman Minor (Shipway's Campanologia) and Method naming

Samuel M. Austin combineharvestersam at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 13 13:54:40 UTC 2005

Just looked at Shipway Minor on http://methods.ringing.org (which is very
useful)

Its interesting that he's taken Stedman and extended the slow work up to
4ths place. Stedman minor is slightly different as he shifts the 4-5 dodges
into 5-6 and every time a bell passes through 4ths place, they always do
three blows.

The St Martin's Guild rang a 720 of Stedman Minor about 150 years ago I
think. Will research in the Guild library.

One more thing

Don Morrison wrote a couple of weeks ago in the RW an article on quarter
peal ringers.
The jist of it was that quarter peal ringers should be allowed to name a
method at any stage and not just minor and below. I'm surprised that no-one
has passed any comment on it. What do you all think?

My opinions are:

1. That a quarter peal is a good benchmark to be able to name a method but I
think that any band ringing a just a course of a method should also be able
to name it.

2. Spliced - In a touch of spliced, at least a course of the new method has
to be rung within the touch before naming it or else a quarter peal
involving the new method to name it.

When the ringers of the 17th Century were practicing Grandsire and Plain
Bob, they didn't ring a peal of it before naming them did they?

Also with triples and below, one has to ring an extent to name the method
but with major and above, a peal is considered a suitable benchmark for
ringers. More ringers ring quarter peals than peals (Morrison, D ) which is
another reason why ringers who don't ring peals should have the right to
name methods of triples and above.

I'm not trying to knock the work of the methods committee here, in fact I
appreciate and use frequently the provisional method names page so at least
they aren't disregarding non peal ringers completely.

Discuss

Aye

Sam