[r-t] Stedman Minor (Shipway's Campanologia)

Edward W Martin martinew at comcast.net
Mon Jun 13 02:41:01 UTC 2005

Hello
According to my photocopy, Book 1 page 106 gives the figures of Shipway's
Principle (which he prefers should be confined to even numbers of bells, but
nevertheless, gives figures for both odd and even)
For even numbers the place notation would be:
3N. 14. x 14 x 14 x 14. 3N. x.14 x 14 x 14
ie it's in two types of 8s not of 6s

In Book 3 he gives figures of peals of Major, Royal and Maximus but is shy
of the extent of Minor
I think it might be a bit of a challenge to cook up a true 720 because I'm
not convinced that the Principle allows for pairs of bells in 5-6 the way
that Stedman Doubles does in 4-5 i.e. (I'm no mathematician so cannot
express this in a whiz bang fashion) but in Doubles there are only two types
of pairs that can ever come into 4-5 : a coursing pair or a non-coursing
pair whereas in Minor you must have coursing pairs plus coursing pairs with
one bell separating them plus coursing pairs with two bells separating them.
i.e. three types of pairs with only an even number of eights to fit in...I
don't know if this has any relevance in the grand order of things, it's just
a gut feeling as they say

Best regards
mew