[r-t] RE: Stedman Minor (Shipway's Campanologia) and Method naming

Edward W Martin martinew at comcast.net
Tue Jun 21 19:15:37 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Smith" <richard at ex-parrot.com>
To: <ringing-theory at bellringers.net>
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 9:20 AM
Subject: Re: [r-t] RE: Stedman Minor (Shipway's Campanologia) and Method
naming

> Samuel M. Austin wrote:
>
>> Just looked at Shipway Minor on http://methods.ringing.org (which is very
>> useful)
>>
>> Its interesting that he's taken Stedman and extended the slow work up to
>> 4ths place. Stedman minor is slightly different as he shifts the 4-5
>> dodges
>> into 5-6 and every time a bell passes through 4ths place, they always do
>> three blows.
>
> This doesn't sound like the same Stedman Minor that Edward
> Martin quotes (p.n. -4-3.4-4-4-4.3-4-4).  Are you sure
> you've got this right?
>
> I've had a little play with the version of the method that
> Edward Martin gave, but I wasn't immediatley able to produce
> an extent using eight-end calls.  (It may be possible -- I
> didn't spend much time on it.)
>

>> The St Martin's Guild rang a 720 of Stedman Minor about 150 years ago I
>> think. Will research in the Guild library.
>
> I'd be interested to see that composition if you manage to
> find it.

Hello
My computer has been ill and I have not recieved messages for a while so
apologise if this has already been said:
The 720 of Stedman Minor by Thomas Thurstans, rung at St Martins 16th Sept
1809 is based on Stedman Minor being interpretted as having PN: 36. 16. x
36. 16. 36. 16. 36. x 16. 36. 16. 36. 16.  with bob = 56 instead of x
720 = bobs at 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 (9), 10 and 12 = 10 part Omit bob (9) in parts 3
and 8

Shipway's interpretaion of Stedman Minor (according to Book one page 96)
would have
PN:  x 34. 14. 36. 14. 34. x 14. 34. 16. 34. 14
No 720 is given in Book 3 and as far as I can tell, Stedman Bob was not
mentiuoned by Shipway though he included several Stedman Slow course ideas

mew