[r-t] Cyclic principles

King, Peter R peter.king at imperial.ac.uk
Tue May 3 08:04:06 UTC 2005

I recently wrote a programme to generate major principles (because I
also think this is a neglected but potentially interesting area). I
rapidly came up with 100's of thousands of them (restrictions were:
symmetric methods with original lead ends, true in the plain course with
no 87's, lead length 30 changes (ie plain course of 240) because it's
similar in length to treble dodging methods). With regards Graham's
criteria:
1. Music, no problem. Here's one method 36.5-4.5-6.3.4.36.4-6.5- LH1 and
Method Master's musical analysis

2. Blue line. Well I've rung worse and I've rung better

3. Falseness. Here's the killer, and it seems to be common with the
other methods I looked at (I haven't analysed them all). These are the
false course heads that MM comes up with.

Needless to say I haven't yet come up with a composition, even computer
generated, although I can get 1/4 lenght compositions.  This does seem
to be a generic problem that these principles have horrendous falseness.
Doubtless if I search through the methods generated I could find some
more pleasant ones (Easton Neston for example, although it has a shorter
course). Are there some general rules that would lead to methods with
less falseness? If so what are they? Is this a lost cause?

Thanks,

Peter