[r-t] Notation 123678 (was Method focus: Alan Reading)

Philip Earis pje24 at cantab.net
Sun May 15 21:05:36 UTC 2005

> As Alan's clearly a fan of the Sussex overwork, I'd recommend he looks
> into using it as the basis for a double method...this can be made regular
> in 3-5.4-5-2367-4-5.4-6.7 .  Note that beautiful single change at the
> symmetry-point: reminds me on Anglia cyclic.  I just thought I'd better
> check it hasn't been rung before, and I'm amazed and gutted to find that
> it has: Skywalker surprise major, rung on 15.5.2002 at York, St Laurence
> (coincidentally only days after Anglia cyclic was first conceived!).  This
> has the hallmarks of that Hull chap. Sometimes I think all the best ideas
> on eight have been taken.

Sorry to reply to myself (bit like Bernard Taylor in the RW), and for the
blank message cock-up, but I was thinking a little more about treble-dodging
major methods with 123678 made when the treble goes through 4-5.

A bit of playing around gives an intriguing unrung surprise method:

&-34-45-56-2367-34-45-56-7,2 14263857 (or &-34-45-56-2367-34-45-56-1,1
18674523)

Both have a reasonable 42 <4-runs>, and ABD falseness.  But look at the
symmetry!  Not only is the method conventionally double, each quarter-lead
is also double.  Neat or what?  The symmetry's so good it ought to have its
own name.

Are there any rung treble-dodging methods with this property?  What about
non-treble-dodging? Double bob would be an example.

The new grid can be viewed at:
http://www.boojum.org.uk/cgi-bin/line.pl?bells=8&pn=%26-34-45-56-2367-34-45-56-1%2C1&qs=Grid&action=1