[r-t] Attribution (was Seven Deadly Sins)

Michael Schulte michaelfschulte at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 05:46:54 UTC 2005

Here is a question that will perhaps show my ignorance:

What is the true purpose of attributing the composition to someone in the first place?

Is it...
(a) To give credit to the composer for his or her effort?
- or -
(b) To allow us to distinguish compositions from one another? (For example, would it be safe to
assume that a 5,056 Cambridge S Major denoted "Comp. C Middleton" would adequately describe
exactly which composition I called?)
- or -
Is there some other reason of which I am ignorant?

Thanks,
Mike

====
Mike Schulte