[r-t] Spliced surprise major: John M Goldthorpe

Philip Earis Earisp at rsc.org
Mon Oct 17 12:19:49 UTC 2005

I rang in a peal of 45 spliced surprise major yesterday
(http://www.campanophile.co.uk/show.html?Code=31364), composed by John
Goldthorpe.  The peal consisted of all the methods from Smith's 23 and
Chandler's 23 (41 distinct methods), with 4 additional methods inserted
to take the composition up to 10k. The composition is copied below.

I think it's a very impressive compositional achievement to be given 45
different treble-dodging major methods and fit them all into a
composition. The atw peals of more spliced major methods that I've seen
contain many (random) methods that fit a composition, rather than being
a composition that contains only a specified group of methods.

I wonder if John wants to explain how he put his composition together?
He must certainly have some impressive resources in his toolkit - the
use of singles adds to this impression! And what is the maximum number
of methods that I could give him for him to stand a reasonable chance of
putting an atw composition together, I wonder?

John's website (containing many other compositions) is
http://lightning.prohosting.com/~escrick/compidx.htm . My only
suggestion is that many compositions seem to be based around maximising
CRUs. This is old-school - runs are the way forward for spliced major!

10080 Spliced Surprise Major (45 methods)
John M Goldthorpe

   2345678 Lindum
 - 6423857 Bristol
   2684735 Cambridge
   4365278 Glasgow
   3547682 Ipswich
 - 8264735 Jersey
   4325876 London
   2483657 Cray
   6872543 Rutland
   7658324 Uxbridge
   5736482 Watford
   3547268 Ashtead
 - 6824735 Pudsey
   4385672 Superlative
   5732468 Colnbrook
   7256384 Newcastle
   2678543 Lincolnshire
   8463257 Sonning
 - 4357826 Cornwall
   8564237 Yeading
 - 6854237 Newlyn
   3742856 Essex
 - 2568743 Northampton
 - 7625384 Moulton
 S 4832576 Sussex
   6573248 Cassiobury
 - 3482576 Adelaide
   7625483 Richmond
 - 4276358 Belfast
   7432865 Claybrooke
   3784526 Ealing
   8357642 Wembley
 - 6583274 Preston
 S 3574628 Double Dublin
   7365842 Chertsey
   6783254 Malpas
   2846573 Whalley
 S 4528367 Willesden
 S 3724658 Chesterfield
 - 8623574 Tavistock
 S 4752386 Buckfastleigh
   6385247 Dorchester
 - 3547628 Yorkshire
 - 5728364 Lessness
 - 3257486 Caterham
 S 3527486

7 part.
314 com, 49 cru's, all the work.

DISCLAIMER:

This communication (including any attachments) is intended for the use of the addressee only and may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material. It may not be relied upon or disclosed to any other person without the consent of the RSC. If you have received it in error, please contact us immediately. Any advice given by the RSC has been carefully formulated but is necessarily based on the information available, and the RSC cannot be held responsible for accuracy or completeness. In this respect, the RSC owes no duty of care and shall not be liable for any resulting damage or loss. The RSC acknowledges that a disclaimer cannot restrict liability at law for personal injury or death arising through a finding of negligence. The RSC does not warrant that its emails or attachments are Virus-free: Please rely on your own screening.