[r-t] Proving

Philip Earis pje24 at cantab.net
Wed Apr 12 00:26:58 UTC 2006

> Evening, I wonder if anyone can help. I've got a set of rows which I have
> exported from Abel in a text file and wondered if there was a quick way of
> proving they are true?
>
>  Is there a program I can download or does anyone have a secret formula
> for
> Excel?
>
> Aye

Sam, a logical and easy way to check for truth is to compare adjacent
ordered rows, ie:

1) Copy all your 'rows' (henceforth called 'changes' to avoid confusion)
into Excel so they are in a column (ensure the cell format is set to number)

2) Highlight the column, and order it (either ascending or descending, it
doesn't matter).

3) Assuming the first 'change' is in cell A1, then in cell B2 insert the
formula =IF(A2-A1=0,1,0)

4) Fill the formula down until you reach the last change

5) Sum the values in column B.  If the answer is not zero, you've got
falseness issues.

It's neater, more elegant and more powerful to use arrays.  Have a look at
the webpage http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htmm for more
information.

Please let me know if you get stuck!

Aye.