[r-t] Bastow / Cloister

Stephen Penney stephen at ucalegon.com
Fri Feb 3 13:25:19 UTC 2006

As a bit of fun at our practice we've been ringing stedman quick sixes
to make a change from Erin. This was introduced to me as "Cloister"
when I was learning to ring, as a practice method for Stedman. This
traditionally started with round as the 4th row of a six, so the treble
can get used to the Stedman start.
I pursuaded the band that it might be more worthwhile to start with a
full six, thus keeping the two trebles as hunt bells - then if you call
the 7th (for triples) in and out you get Whittingtons in the second
course.

My question is how did this get called cloister? I believe it's a
logical extention of Bastow little bob, is this the case? I can
understand the additional hunt bell, but the double dodges? I can't
think of any other methods where dodges turn to double dodges on higher
stages.

Percy

PS is it possible to produce a quarter peal by ringing the six as
7.1.123.1.3.1 instead of 7.1.3.1.3.1 as the only call?