[r-t] Tittums

Philip Earis pje24 at cantab.net
Sun Feb 12 17:21:34 UTC 2006

Absolutely gorgeous Alex, but you seem to have forgotten one thing - mega
tittums! A huge shame, as this is the surely best coursing order when you've
got the back bells coursing. I also think your composition could do with a
bit more conventional music too.

Here's how I tried to rearrange it. Calling positions just refer to bells
2-6 when the tenors are not home.

First attempt: 6096 Bristol Maximus

M   W   H   234567890ET
    s   s   54326
    s       24356
s   2       45362
_______________________
psppsppb     mega-tittums coursing order
_______________________
        -
2           674829305ET
_______________________
bppsppsp    reverse runs coursing order
_______________________
        -   32465ET9078
-   -       64523ET9078
-   s   s   23456ET9078
_______________________
psbspb      342567890ET
_______________________
        -   23456

The first block is used to get to the 65432 coursing order before applying
the turning course to get the back bells into the tittums position. As with
Alex's composition, you get the whole plain course to start. Here, all but
three leads of the opening block are in runs courses. I think the balance is
a bit better too:

64 leads home
22 leads tittums
27 leads rev-6

Only slight problem is that it's a bit longer then people normally ring.
It's not difficult to shorten though, producing the incredibly beautiful
baby below. Why would anyone possibly want to ring anything else?!  Blimey,
the excitement is back...

Attempt 2: 5040 (5376) Bristol Maximus

M   W   H   234567890ET
    s   s   54326
s   s   s   23465
s       -   45362
_______________________
psppsppb     mega-tittums coursing order
_______________________
        -
2           674829305ET
_______________________
bppsppsp    reverse runs coursing order
        -   32465ET9078
-   -       64523ET9078
-   s   s   23456ET9078
psssps      234567890ET

(For 5376 call last course psppsppb then a bob home to bring up rounds).

I've also got an alternative which comes round at the snap after the wrong,
and contains the whole 64235 course near the end when the tenors are back
together, but that will have to wait....