[r-t] 'New' ideas in Bristol Royal: the magnificent six (Philip Earis)

Robert Lee rlee5040 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 30 18:03:04 UTC 2006

>David's Bristol Royal composition uses the very short and sweet linking
>block (1.2.4) a couple of times to get between the magnificent six. The
>only drawback is that this 'jumps' four steps, meaning that you'll only
>get three of the six transpositions if you keep repeating it.

  One solution is the following:

              234567890
---------------------
1, 2, 4     864297530   (reverse queens)
1, 2, 4     594837260   (reverse tittums)
      4     602374859   (tittums)
2, 3, 4     972640853   (queens)
2, 3        340289675   (reverse rounds)
            567890234   (rounds)
---------------------

  Basically, half the plain course (ie. the lead end 098765432) is used to
  join up the reverse tittums/tittums and reverse rounds/rounds positions. Doing
  this means that some of the part ends occur at handstroke instead of backstroke,
  and so the 1,2,4 block is used in reverse when this is the case.

  Unfortunately, the cyclic part end obtained is 567890234 which means rounds
  occurs after 3 parts. A bit of fiddling around solves this, but at the expense of
  a bit of symmetry/music:

  5220 Double Coslany/10440 Bristol:

              234567890
1, 2, 4     864297530
1, 2, 4     594837260
      4     602374859
2, 3, 4     972640853
2, 3, 4     342907856
s1, s8, 9   345678902

  9 part. Contains the 54 cycles of rounds, queens & tittums and reverses thereof.

  Rob