[r-t] Methods and peals

ALEXANDER HUNT alex.hunt at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 24 15:06:20 UTC 2006

Perhaps you would have got away with 9 miles Barrie. As I am sure you are
aware, I live just 9.4 miles away from you, which probably means we are in
the same world.

I make regular use of the method collections, at least once a month.

I organise a peal attempt on the second Tuesday of each month at
Pig-le-Tower in a new surprise major method. We've rung about 20 new methods
so far. If I didn't have access to the method collection it would be
difficult to be confident the method being attempted was not already named
and that the name hadn't been used for another method. So far I've not had
the embarrassment of ringing something that was not as new as I had hoped.

As for keeping the collection up to date, I've got no complaints. For
example on Tuesday 10th January this year I conducted a peal in a new method
for which the band chose the name 70th Birthday Surprise Major as it was the
70th anniversary of the birth of the late great Tom Chapman whose bells we
had rung. I sent the peal up to the RW via the RW web site the following day
and by Friday 13th the method was there in the CC collection. I did not need
to notify the methods committee separately. My experience is of a well
organised and professional set-up. Best of all this fantastic service is
still free at the point of delivery. Thank you CC/MC.

Alex