[r-t] decisions

Robin Woolley robin at robinw.org.uk
Sun Jun 18 13:29:28 UTC 2006

In one sense, PJE is quite correct about the inelegance of certain
decisions. In particular, I think decision (D)B looks like a piece of chewed
string, BUT this is entirely due to three interrelated things.

Chiefly amongst these is the desire by a very small number of ringers for
recognition by the Exercise at large for their iconoclastic performances.
This number is probably not more than two dozen, given that many more will
'go along for the ride'.

This has recently been shown in two ways. So, secondly, the desire to ring
uncovered odd-bell peals and covered even bell peals. This has been allowed
since c1985. There are very few bands whoeven now deliberately set out to
ring a peal under these conditions, except at Basingstoke. One uncovered
peal sticks out in my mind - being in Boston (Mass.). No one would refuse to
accept this performance where meeting one-short in the USA is not like
meeting one-short in England, for obvious reasons. The Peals Analysis
committee, in their wisdom, chose to stop recording such
'non-compliant-compliant' peals after the Liverpool meeting due to so few
occurring. (2 in 2000 - covered Minimus & covered Minor!).

The third aspect is variable cover. Once again, these are no longer recorded
separately because this type of ringing is now obsolescent. There was one
case in 2005 - variable cover caters & royal. It must be remembered that
this development was sold to the Council as being the greatest thing since
sliced bread.

A misconception has built up over the years that the Council tells people
what they can or cannot ring. It is only about recognition. A worthwhile
development will, in the course of time, become at least usual if not the
norm, but the variable cover is never rung (1st approx.). As for uncovered
triples, etc, how many bands prefer to have a cover rung badly (on practice
night) to no cover at all?

PJE refers us to Tintinalogia on the web. I seem to recall from reading the
History of Change Ringing that many ideas, variable cover, jump changes,
have been tried and discarded 300 years ago. I can't put my finger on the
quotes, but no doubt someone can.

To sum up, the Council has been forced into 'Recognising', whatever that may
mean, what an extreme (in terms of numbers) minority think is a good idea at
the time. A better approach would be to base decisions on what is still
being frequently rung after, say, ten years. There is a precedent for this.
The 'front-foot' no-ball rule was an experiment for about 11 years until it
was made permament in 1980.

Best wishes
Robin.