[r-t] Jump changes

Stephen Penney stephen at ucalegon.com
Thu Jun 22 11:15:26 UTC 2006

Something occurred to me the other night when a ringer fired out a
touch of Grandsire Triples. He was ringing the tenor behind (he's been
ringing about 15 years, and is incapable of doing much more than this),
and I was ringing the 7th. After about 10 mins of ringing, a single was
called with the 7th behind. The tenor ringer misheard this for "That's
all", and so continued to follow me, regardless of the fact that I was
now hunting down to the front. We were unable to convince him to get
back up to 8ths place, and the touch was stood up. I was rather
astounded that he was able to do this without realising we were still
ringing the method.

Then I wondered - have jump changes ever been used specifically as a
teaching aid? I've seen learners that while still struggling with rope-
sight are also struggling with manoeuvring their bell. Jump changes can
come in useful with teaching them this skill without having to worry
about rope-sight at the same time. For example:

1234567
3125476
3512746
5371264

etc....

The learner on the second can hunt from 2nds - 7ths place and back, and
yet always follow the same bell. The same idea can be used for more
complicated paths.

Has anyone used jump changes in this way?

Percy