[r-t] Short 'peals' of Stedman Triples

Philip Saddleton pabs at cantab.net
Mon Jun 12 17:03:31 UTC 2006

It seems unlikely to me. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that a
touch of between 4980 and 5040 exists using standard calls, but I
wouldn't know how to go about finding one other than by an exhaustive
search - this is a much bigger problem than searching for a bobs only
extent.

A related question: is it possible to find two touches of different
lengths, such that
a) the lengths differ by fewer than 60 changes
and
b) the rows of the longer are a superset of those of the shorter?

I can do this with funny calls:
a) take a 79 of Doubles and a B-block, with 6-7 swapping in the
appropriate places to make the rows match (this could be extended to a
4999).
b) Coming round at the six-end, ring titanic for the final six (5036)
c) finish with a Double in 34567, and replace place notation 3.34567
with 123 for 5039 - or 34567.1.3.1.3.1 with 123 for 5035

But then with sufficiently strange calls you can clearly get any length.

PABS