[r-t] Bobs only Grandsire

Philip Saddleton pabs at cantab.net
Wed Jun 14 18:36:21 UTC 2006

Try having x for B. This means the second block is rung backwards, and
rules out x for A, C, D, F. We can't have x for E, but can for G. This
gives three blocks:

1xxxxx78 AB AC DB DG DE EE CG CB CD AB AB AB (5 part) = 960
1xxx7xx8 FC AD FG FG FG (4 part) = 320
1x8xxxx7 EE EC FG FD (2 part) = 128

(leads ending B or G are plained, the others bobbed).

If we are to join this set of blocks together by calling bobs, precisely
half of the G Q-sets will have to be bobbed (we need one of the two in
the 128 to be bobbed, and one of the two in the third bob block to be
plain). The obvious way to do this is do it according to the nature of
the rows. Magically they all join up:

2016 Grandsire Major
   2345678
   -------
   8726543  2
   3485627  2
   2537468  1
   -------
   6728543  1
   4863752  1
p 4257368  3
   -------
   6748235  1
   3865724  1
   2534876  1
   7426583  1
   3875624  2
p 3426578  3
   -------
   8735624  2
   6483275  3
   7365428  1
   -------
   2578346  1
   4826537  1
   3647852  1
   5732684  1
   4856237  2
   3647825  1
   2735684  1
   8524763  1
   6483572  1
   7362458  1
   -------
   4876532  3
p 4235678  3
   -------
3-part

There are 20 of these blocks making up the extent. Can we join them by
bobbing Bs?

PABS