[r-t] Decisions / Algorithms for generating the extent

Philip Saddleton pabs at cantab.net
Tue Jun 20 18:23:27 UTC 2006

edward martin said  on 20/06/2006 17:06:
>> Well, there's another one in Tintinnalogia, though
>> Stedman/Duckworth isn't explicit that it works on arbitary
>> stages.
>>
>> The starting point of the series is the extent on three
>> bells, Original Singles.
>>
>>   123   3
>>   213   1
>>   231   3
>>   321   1
>>   312   3
>>   132   1
>>   ---
>>   123
>>
>> All bells hunt throughout and this is enough to get the
>> whole extent.  If you try this on four bells, though, you
>> only get a third of the extent:
>>
>>   1234  x
>>   2143  14
>>   2413  x
>>   4231  14
>>   4321  x
>>   3412  14
>>   3142  x
>>   1324  14
>>   ----
>>   1234
>>
>> However, we can take this as one lead of a three lead extent
>> by making lead heads and lead ends form the extent on the
>> back three bells:
>
> But Campanista demonstrates this very point pages 8-10
> and again (5 bells) pages 18 - 29
> and again (6 bells) pages 35 - 52
> He is very explicit & excited about applying Grandsire Doubles to give
> us 'Grandsire Bob Minor (the standard 720 of Bob Minor)  page 114
>
> mew

These are examples of systems of hunts, the basis of many extents. More
generally:

- find a block where a subset of the bells occupy each possible
combination of positions (WHWH)

- find a calling that does not disturb this subset, but cycles the
remaining bells - this gives an equivalent block for a larger subset (WHWx3)

- repeat as necessary, with a calling that fixes one more bell at each
step (WHWx3 sH)

Taken to extremes:

362880 Grandsire Caters
23456789   1  3  4