[r-t] Decisions / Algorithms for generating the extent

Don Morrison dfm at mv.com
Wed Jun 21 17:10:43 UTC 2006

On 6/21/06, Richard Smith <richard at ex-parrot.com> wrote:

> The algorithm for generating an extent on n by applying
> plain changes on n-1 to the coursing order of plain hunt on
> n has the elegant property that only three different changes
> are needed.  By contrast, plain changes needs n-1 different
> changes, as does the Original Singles, Bob Minimus, Old
> Doubles, ... sequence.

Am I correct in believing that for more than three bells, three
different changes is the minimum that can ever be used to generate an
extent?

That's assuming ordinary changes, not jump changes. Can it be reduced
to two with jump changes?

--
Don Morrison <dfm at mv.com>
"[I] am rarely happier than when spending an entire day