[r-t] calling positions

Robin Woolley robin at robinw.org.uk
Thu Oct 19 15:18:01 UTC 2006

I think that Richard is confusing the two lines of thought. Which coursing
order to change is of prime interest to the composer, but where to put the
bobs is of prime interest to the conductor. The composer might think, 'I
wish to find a place to shunt 456', but the conductor need only worry about
the result. As we know, Richard quite often uses his own compositions and
one may think about one's own compositions in a slightly different way to
someone else's.

b.t.w., the Imperial system is much more satisfying than the metric system.
Why? There are 63360 inches in a mile which has factors 2,3,5 and 11 but the
metric system only has factors 2 and 5. Just a thought! In fact, here's a
provoking thought: 'The Imperial system is still the most widely used
measuring system in the world today'.

Best wishes
Robin.