[r-t] Compositional help requested

Andrew Johnson andrew_johnson at uk.ibm.com
Thu Sep 7 13:30:45 UTC 2006

ringing-theory-bounces at bellringers.net wrote on 06/09/2006 23:02:26:

> On 9/6/06, Andrew Johnson <andrew_johnson at uk.ibm.com> wrote:
> > Using Eril I found the following blocks
> >
> > All 5261 changes, 12 567890ETs, 6 657890ETs, 42 67890ETs
> >
> >  u = 18,7,7,18,18
> > v = 7,18,7,18,18,18,7,18,7,18,18
> >
> > u = 18,18,7,18,7,18
> > v = 7,18,7,7,18,7,7,18,7,18,18
> >
> > u = 18,7,18,7,18,7
> > v = 7,18,7,7,18,7,7,18,7,18,18
> >
> > u = 7,18,7,18,7,7
> > v = 7,18,7,7,18,7,7,18,7,18,18
>
> I must be confused about how to interpret the above.
>
> Looking at it I would think that it's saying
>
> - from Philip's maximus section call his turning course (x)
> - then call (u) from one of the pairs above
> - then call Philip's turning course (y)
> - then call (v) from one of the pairs above
>
> But (unless I'm doing something wrong) from all four pairs that seems
> to result in the course end 4321658709E, which isn't going to come
> round.
>
> And there's further difficulties as well. For example, I believe the
> (v) block in the first pair is going to run immediately false, unless
> followed by a call at 1, so it doesn't look like it can possibly work
> as the end of a peal in the handstroke position.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> --
> Don Morrison <dfm at mv.com>
I misunderstood Philip's composition a little - I thought that the
Stedman had a normal start. Course x then didn't work, but I thought
I had mistyped it so I let Eril work out the number of plain sixes
in that course. Eril then produced a course which generated
13426578E90T at the row just after half way through a quick six,
so I thought the course ends weren't Stedman course ends but the
row at the start position and that things were different from
normal because this was a special spliced composition.

I then produced the other courses so as to finish with 2143658709ET.
I then realized I needed a special call to bring it round as that
row occurred half way through a quick six.

After Phil pointed out that it didn't need a special call I went
back and found my problem.

Instead of x I had used the course
w = 1,5,7,s16,19 (22 sixes)

7 18
w    34126578E90T
  -  32416578E90T
-    25416378E90T
- -  51346278E90T
  -  54136278E90T
y    5413628709ET
- -  4321658709ET
- -  3152648709ET
  -  3215648709ET
  -  3521648709ET
- -  5142638709ET
- -  1234658709ET
  - (1423658709ET)

412638507E9T
4213658709ET
241638507E9T
2143658709ET->bring round from here
124638507E9T
1423658709ET

Bringing it round with a messy extra call isn't ideal, so here's
another solution:

5131 Spliced Cinques / Maximus

                       1234567890ET
2*Slink                14523ET90786 |