[r-t] Big searches

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Thu Dec 27 18:47:17 UTC 2007

Mark Davies wrote:
> Not exactly sure why I didn't just say, "Disappointingly, no better
> compositions have been found *since* the one discovered about 0.1% of the
> way in".

Were that to happen with something I was working on I believe my thinking would
go something like "That's surprising. I suppose it *might* be that the order in
which my search is doing things happened to go down the best route early, but it
does seem unlikely. I wonder if maybe it's a bug in my code? I think I'll try
restarting the search with things reordered so that that optimum thing it found
early it finds a little later, to see if all behaves as I expect." But maybe I'm
just paranoid. Or more frequently sloppy.

"A peal is just a load of sweat and blisters, but a Sotherans memorial
peal card is a comfort in your old age."
                                 -- Old Bailey, change-ringers archives