[r-t] Queens and Tittums

edward martin edward.w.martin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 13:01:41 UTC 2007

When I first looked at composition of 21 part peals of Stedman Triples
I saw the need for me to identify row types
If PEs were rotations of rounds queens & tittums I had noticed that in
 triples there are only 3 positinal relationships  (As in plain
hunt,on handbells, excluding the 7-8, these positions are a coursing
pair; a coursing bell with one bell between and a coursing pair with
two bells between)
Applied to  21 part format:-
 'A' is 12, 23, 34, 45, 56, 67, 71
'B' is 13, 24, 35, 46, 57, 61, 72
'C' is 15, 26, 37, 41, 52, 63, 74
then allowing for each pair to be reversed ( eg 12 = A  and 21 = A* )
each of the 5040 rows can be expressed in 21 equal parts using these 3
letters or their reverses.
The 21 PEs can be seen to be AAAAAA,  BBBBBB, CCCCCC
Each potential bobbed block can be set out in abstract form and its
potential variations and possibilities explored.
Mathematicians may mock my naivity but although it was painfully long,
this approach worked for me & if only I had a clue how to programme a
computer I might have turned out more than the half dozen or so that
it took me some 2 years to produce !

I am in compleat agreement with RAS whenhe says
"I not sure tittums came about because of this per se, or
that it's simply a coincidence.  Rather, the things that
make certain changes (rounds, tittums, back rounds, etc.)
sound particularly pleasant, are precisely the things that
result in them being transpositions of each other."

and, being interested in history, I have tried in vain to find some
written record of when Queens & Tittums were first named.
In Stedman's book(1677), the pairs 13, 57, 24, 68 are simply referred
to as being in 3rds, and the pairs 15, 26, 37, 48  as fifths. Together
they were known as 'concords' One idea that he had was have these
concords rung as if by 4 bells, thus they might plain hunt on 4 with
each pair striking as one bell!

But the full  rows produced by these concords are noit given the
titles Queens & Tittums. and I have not yet found these names in any
other early book though I feel that these set changes were known, &
practiced from earliest times.  I have theories but this is probably
getting off topic for this list

mew