[r-t] ringing-theory Digest, Vol 34, Issue 2

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Sun Jun 17 16:44:57 UTC 2007

On 6/17/07, Richard Pullin <grandsirerich at googlemail.com> wrote:
> One really good bit, where the music from one change leads off to another,
> is 25163748, 21536478, 12354687, 21345678.

I think what you're saying here is something like "whatever rollups
you get, you also get immediately before or after spread out, tittums
like." Have I understood correctly? I can see where that might be a
nice effect, particularly since it's going to be happening off the
front, too.

> It contains Queens too.

Presumably you mean "in the plain course," since most methods can
generate queens in some course. Does your taste equate "musical
method" with "a method with a paticularly musical plain course"? I
suspect lots of folks' do, and lots others think in terms of "can
easily generate lots of musical rows in a longer touch." And
undoubtedly a host of other things, many probably not even expressible
in terms of particular attractive rows.

> The fist cross section where 18 is made produces some nice effects in both
> halves of the lead. Examples: 26154837. Also there are lots of changes
> divided into two-part octaves like 62518473.

I'm afraid this is just too subtle for me. I can't see what is
appealing about these two (similar) rows. I've even tried plunking
them out on the piano and don't notice anything that strikes my
(probably crude) taste as particularly ear tickling. In fact, the only
thing that really stands out for me is the somewhat jarring tritone in
the second one, though I suspect that would be far less noticeable on
bells than it is on a piano -- 2-5s must be occurring all the time in
almost everything we ring and I can't remember ever noticing them as
at all unpleasant in that context -- come to think of it, it's in
tittums on eight!

Anyway, I realize it is rather difficult to put into words what one
finds aurally pleasing, but can you shed any further light on why you
cite these two (closely related) rows as particularly nice?

--
Don Morrison <dfm at ringing.org>, <dfm2 at cmu.edu>
"Much can be said about cabbages.... In the mass, however, they lack