[r-t] FCH

Robin Woolley robin at robinw.org.uk
Sat Mar 17 09:16:46 UTC 2007

Richard Pullin said: "Wilfrid. G Wilson's chapters on the subject have done
nothing to help and
have only made my head spin"

Quite right. His, and Maurice Hodgson's paper are to my mind, incredibly
difficutl to understand. In fact, I was minding my own business yesterday
(Friday) morning, waiting to start some ringing, when one of the band sidled
up to me and asked me to explain FCH's saying that he'd tried to understand
it from Wilson with the same effect as Richard.

The problem of both these articles is this. They were both written at a time
when (a) singles were banned and (b) split-tenors were not liked, so they
set out to go directly to in-course tenors together falseness, whereas it is
easier to develop the thoery in general, and then pick off your subset of
FCH according to your chosen restrictions. For example, in a logical order,
the 'first' FCH you come to of Cambridge S8 is 43256 which is, of course,
out-of-course.

Best wishes
Robin