[r-t] Classification question

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Sat Mar 31 14:34:15 UTC 2007

Don writes,

> I've been scratching my head trying to understand exactly how to interpret
> an obscure corner of the CCCBR Decisions taxonomy of methods

Did you get a reply from Tony? This is one of the (several) areas where the
MC's current classification rules are weak or inconsistent.

Have a look at the alternative classification system I proposed for the
"Norwich Axioms":

http://www.bronze-age.com/NorwichAxioms/axiomframe.html

Section 2 "Unique Classification" in the notes on the left have this to say
on methods with multiple hunt bells:

----------------------
2. Unique Classification

Given a sequence of place notation capable of generating a method as defined
by Norwich (see above), it is important that we can classify the method, and
that furthermore there is only one classification into which it can fall.
This is achieved in Norwich by the following amendments:
i. ...
ii. ...
iii. Ensuring that methods with multiple hunt bells are classified in the
same way regardless of which bell is taken as the "treble". This is the most
wide-ranging change to the current classification system, and is achieved by
modifying the old E(B) section to cover multiple as well as single-hunt
methods (amendments 16, 18, 21, 22, 23, 24b, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32a,
32b and 33). The old section E(C) therefore becomes completely redundant and
is removed from the Decisions (ammendment 34).
iv. ...
v. ...
----------------------

And in the actual Norwich redraft of Decision (E)C3:

----------------------
3. In Treble Dodging methods no hunt follows a Plain path, but the path of
at least one hunt bell consists of dodges in consecutive position-pairs,
such as 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, etc., the number of dodges in each position-pair
within the half-lead being the same. They are classified as:-

(a) Treble Bob methods, which have no internal places made where any
treble-dodging hunt bell passes from one dodging position to another, or in
which no treble-dodging hunt bell ever moves beyond its initial dodging
position.

(b) Surprise methods, which have at least one internal place made every time
any treble-dodging hunt bell passes from one dodging position to another.

(c) Delight methods, which are all other Treble Dodging methods.
----------------------

Under Norwich, your method would be classified unequivocably as "Surprise".
To be Treble Bob, all treble-dodging hunts would need to match the "Treble
Bob" rule, and the 3 doesn't in your method, since there are internal places
as it moves between dodging positions. However, all your hunts do in fact
see internal places any time they move positions (doesn't matter that 1 and
2 don't actually move!) so "Surprise" is a good classification.

I think these rules give a pretty intuitive stratification into TB, Delight
and Surprise no matter how many hunt bells and what those hunt bells do.
Basically something's only Treble Bob if all the hunts treble-bob; it's only
Surprise if all the hunts follow the Surprise rule; and anything else is
Delight, just like we're used to. The only exception is for the trivial case
where no treble-bobbing hunt leaves its home position - reasonably enough
I call these Treble Bob too.

It would be sensible if the MC got off its collective behind and adopted a
more general and consistent set of rules for method classification, such as
Norwich - don't you think Philip?! :-)