[r-t] Runny compositions

Philip Earis pje24 at cantab.net
Sun Nov 25 00:27:03 UTC 2007

It's certainly a very desirable musical property - all 96 of the runs of
each type (****5678 ****8765 5678**** 8765****) and cyclic permutations
thereof). Ander Holroyd's "runny" compositions of Plain Bob and Bristol
<http://www.math.ubc.ca/~holroyd/comps> achieve this, albeit not in cyclic
form.

I would of course be interested to see Alan's composition, which I'm
interested in and I'm sure would be very worthwhile to ring, though at a
first glance the methods look perhaps a bit of sledgehammer way of achieving
the effect.

Don Morrsion has a 23-spliced composition on his website at
<http://ringing.org/main/pages/peals/major/spliced-surprise/23+m> which has
most of the music over the treble (but greatly reduced under) which also
takes a slightly forced approach, with an abundance of methods
beginning -34-4-2.

As I've mentioned a few times on here, the holy grail is to get a
"worthwhile" 23-spliced major composition that packs in all 96 runs of each
type.  I've got a bit about this on my website (though it needs updating) at
<http://www.cantabgold.net/users/pje24/earis23.html>.  I've rung a cyclic
23-spliced composition that has 81 of the 96 runs
<http://www.campanophile.co.uk/show.aspx?Code=50541>, and am going for a
modified version that has 89 of the runs in a couple of weeks.  I have a
further-modified composition I quite like that contains 95 of the 96 runs,
but sadly despite quite a lot of playing haven't been able to hit the
jackpot yet.