[r-t] Methods as polyhedra

King, Peter R peter.king at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Apr 9 14:52:39 UTC 2008

You can also represent touches as polyhedra. For simplicity, if you just
allow bobs at W & H then there are 12 coursing orders. 3 H's or 3 W's
can be represented by triangles. Attached is a picture of the flattened
out polyhedron resulting (I think this is called a Schlegel diagram).
I'm not entirely sure what the polyhedron is called, it has 12 vertices
(the coursing orders), 8 triangles (4 lots of 3Hs and 4 lots of 3Ws) and
6 squares (blocks of WHWH). So I think it is a truncated cube, but I
think it has some special name which I can't remember. The Hs are the
blue traingles and the Ws the arrows.

Then the problem of composition is to find closed paths through the
vertices. For example on the second picture the red line is 3(H2W).
Presumably some kind of search algorithm related to the travelling
salesman problem could be used to select such paths. In the presence of
falseness vsiting certain vertices would then preclude other vertices
from the proposed path, but I haven't thought through how to implement
this.

Also I don't think the full polyhedron for tenors together compositions
should be that complicated. There are 60 in course coursing orders which
are the vertices. The faces would then be triangles (3Hs 3 Ws or 3Ms)
and pentagons (5 Bs) and other simple polygons for WHWH, MHMH etc. I'm
sure some bright spark out there could construct it, perhaqps it has
already been done.

PRK