[r-t] Grove's Variation

edward martin edward.w.martin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 09:12:45 UTC 2008

Hello again
actually it has nothing to do with where you call singles.
Apparently when J.J.Parker first discovered his 12 part it was with
7th as observation but he published it with 6th obs because it yielded
more music at backstroke.
Groves's variation is nothing more than call J.J.Parker's with the 7th as obs.
(you can call it with 2 as obs but it seems to me that in both these
cases, rather than the word 'variation' we ought to use
'transposition' To my way of thinking, a variation would need to
involve a fairly significant alteration to the original calling of a
composition.)
Much more straightforward to claim 'J.J.Parker's 12 part , 6th/7th/2nd
obs', and forget about Mr Groves's involvement

mew