[r-t] Definition of a peal

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Tue Aug 5 06:04:17 UTC 2008

Philip's proposal says

  "A round block containing an integer number of extents, plus a true
   part-extent."

I think this is more prescriptive than I'm guessing was intended.
Certainly more than I think is appropriate.

What it makes "illegal" at the lower stages is a block bigger than an
extent containing
every change at least N times, but no change more than N+1 times. Such
blocks are frequently rung as part of quarter peals, and there is no
reason to exclude them from peals, especially if a fraction of an
extent is allowed.

I hope this is just an oversight. I'm sure it can be easily rectified,
though I'm not sure how best to phrase an alternative.

"We must not conclude that morals are worthless because they differ
according to time and place."  -- Will Durant, _Our Oriental Heritage_