[r-t] Naming methods & compositional devices

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Sat Aug 2 19:55:26 UTC 2008

Don wrote:

> What about ambiguous cases where there are two different sets of
> standard calls in common use? For example, Glasgow

In every peal of Glasgow I have rung, the conductor has stated, or has been
prompted to state what calls will be used. So in practice, it doesn't really
matter which is chosen as a standard. In fact, it is one reason why I don't
favour keeping the calls with the method - because it adds no value to state
both.

I would define the default bob for single hunt even bell methods simply as:-

1.	4ths place for a 2nds place method
2.	n-2 place for an nths place method (when n is the stage), excepting
group m methods where the default is 4ths

Any composition of Glasgow S Major or Bristol S Maximus using 4ths place
bobs should specify it (although the calling positions usually make it
obvious).

> Plain hunt type calls can be used profitably for more than just
> getting unusual lengths.

That's why the decision needs changing. Yes, there is ambiguity of whether
ringing the Cambridge 7 minor methods spliced (with 2nds, 4ths and 6ths at
the lead end and 1st, 3rds and 5ths at the half lead) is actually Cambridge
with different calls. But, it is quite acceptable to produce King Edward,
Ebor and Newhall using calls in Cambridge, as you move to a different
course, but not Primrose, Ipswich, Norfolk and Queen Mary. So the ambiguity
exists now, but in an inconsistent way. If people want to ring it using
different calls, rather than spliced, does it matter? I think not.

> Methods like Richard's False Course Bob Minor and Double Stromboli Bob
> Minor fit perfectly into the existing taxonomy. But they are no where
> to be found, not even in the list of provisionally named methods,
> simply because they include properties, irrelevant to the taxonomy,
> that the Council or its committees find distasteful.

These two problems (false in the plain course and more than four blows) were
addressed neatly by changes to the decisions in the Norwich Axioms.

"A method is defined by the places made between successive rows of its plain
course, which shall be a true round block, divisible into at least two equal
parts which are called leads."

"A lead is defined as the shortest part of a method which, when repeated,
will generate the entire plain course. A lead of a method must be true
within itself, and no bell may remain in the same position throughout a
lead."

Graham