[r-t] Philip's new Decisions, including Wiki page

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Sun Aug 3 21:58:02 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 5:35 PM, Graham John <graham at changeringing.co.uk> wrote:
> Below is a comparison of the new decisions proposed by Philip Earis and the
> current decisions, showing deleted text from the original decisions
> highlighted in yellow, and the possible implications in red.

Ah, no. It's all the same color for me, and presumably anyone else
using a non-HTML mail client. As you can see below, it's pretty
inscrutable without some kind of distinguishing marks.

Come to think of it, doesn't the mailing list de-HTML-ify things, so
even those who are not colour blind and are using HTML mail clients
won't be seeing the colour?

> [...]
> secondary hunt that has a well-formed path and makes second's place when the
> principal hunt is leading.
>
> Slow Course methods are no longer an exception.
>
> D. Nomenclature and Extensions
>
> The stage names for different numbers of changing bells are:-
> 4 Minimus, 6 Minor, 8 Major, 10 Royal, 12 Maximus, 14 Fourteen, 16 Sixteen,
> etc.
> 5 Doubles, 7 Triples, 9 Caters, 11 Cinques, 13 Sextuples, 15 Septuples, etc.
> (a) The title of a hunter shall consist of Name, Class (with the exception
> of Grandsire, Double Grandsire, Reverse Grandsire, Little Grandsire, Union,
> Double Union and Reverse Union) and Stage.
>
> Naming exceptions for Grandsire etc not noted.
>
> (b) The title of a principle shall consist of Name and Stage.
>
> (c) The title of a differential shall consist of Name, "Differential" and
> Stage.
>
> Differential is not a classification.
>
> (c)    The title of a differential hunter shall consist of Name,
> "Differential", Class and Stage.
>
> Differential is not a classification.
>
> (e) If a non-Little Plain method with double symmetry and either one plain
> hunting hunt bell or two or more principal hunts, all of which are coursing,
> has the same number of leads in the plain course as the corresponding method
> with no internal places below the hunt bell or principal hunts, they shall
> have the same name but with the prefixes "Double" and "Single" respectively.
>
> (f) Where a principle or differential has a distinct reverse, both methods
> shall have the same name but one with the prefix "Reverse".
>
> Reverse not a naming requirement?
>
> (g) A method may not be given a name if the title excluding the Stage would
> be the same as a method in a different type or class.
>
> (a) Methods at different stages in the same type and class shall only have
> the same name if they are related as in the Decision on Method Extension.
>
> (b) Methods at different stages in the same type and class that are uniquely
> related as in Parts A to D of the Decision on Method Extension shall have
> the same name, and where not uniquely related one relationship shall have
> the same name.
>
> (c) Methods in the same class that are related as in Part E of the Decision
> on Method Extension shall have the same name.
>
> The formulaic rules for extension have been removed, as naming an extension
> is left to the discretion of the band.
>
> The band that first rings a peal, complying with Parts A to D of the
> Decision on Peal Ringing, of a new method or an extent in the case of
> Doubles or Minor, or includes it in a multi-method peal complying with Parts
> A to D of the Decision on Peal Ringing, shall name the method and publish it
> in The Ringing World, subject to D.2 and D.3 above, and to the power of the
> Council to change the name or leave it unnamed if it considers it necessary.
>
> A method can only be named if it is rung in a peal.

"When ideas fail, words come in very handy."  -- Anonymous