[r-t] Proposed definition of a peal (Dons 10 Rules)

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Tue Aug 5 22:58:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 5:32 PM, List01 <list01 at shropshirelad.idps.co.uk> wrote:
> Don Morrison gave 10 rules

Ouch. I hope they don't really sound like "rules". My goal is simply a
definition, not a series of injunctions.

> Don's version
>
> 3) Between some or all of the rows of a piece of change ringing the
>   order of many of the bells will change. The number of bells that
>   are changing between some of the rows is called the stage. It is
>   an integer greater than or equal to 2, but less than or equal to
>   the total number of bells being rung. Traditionally these stages
>   are given names; for example the 6 bell stage is referred to as
>   "minor".
>
> I think the second sentence is ambiguous and should be changed to:
>
> "The total number of bells that change position between rows is called the
> stage."

Yes, I see what you mean, my choice of words is infelicitous. However,
I think your rewording falls into the trap I was trying to avoid: it
is not necessary for every changing bell to move each time. It might
stay fixed for 2, 3, 4, 6, dozens, hundreds or even thousands of rows.
2 is common, 3 and 4 are currently legal though rare within a method;
6 or dozens are not currently legal within a method but that seems an
arbitrary restriction; hundreds or thousands comes up in variable
cover.

I'll have a further think on how best to rephrase this. With luck
someone else will come up with better wording than I can.

> Item 7
> ----------
> Don's version
>
> 7) A piece of change ringing, if all of one stage S, is called true is
>   there is a non-negative integer N such that each of the rows in the
>   extent at stage S occurs at least N times and no more than (N + 1)
>   times.
>
> I'm being a bit pedantic but the second "is" should be "if".

Yes, sorry. You're not being pedantic, I made a typo, and it should be
fixed.

I will try to address these issues as part of the revision I put
together to try to make (1) say what I meant it to say.

Thanks!

"With balloons, as with life itself, it is important to know when not
to let go of the string. The whole point of balloons is to teach
small children this."   -- Terry Pratchett, _A Hat Full of Sky_