[r-t] Definition of a peal

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Tue Aug 5 23:43:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 7:22 PM, Martin Cansdale <mjclists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Merely playing devil's advocate, but is it obviously true that the theorem holds for mixed stages?

No, of course not. It all depends upon how we define truth for mixed
stages. However, it is a theorem of such generality and usefulness
that its continued validity can be viewed as a partial measure of the
desirability of our definition of truth for mixed stages. That is, it
could be a useful sign that we're moving in a profitable direction.
Neither a necessary nor a sufficient condition for things being right,
but still A Good Sign.

"Men who believe that their works will last...form the habit of placing
them in a period when they themselves will have crumbled into dust. And
thus, by obliging them to reflect on their own extinction, the idea of
fame saddens them because it is inseparable from the idea of death."
     -- Marcel Proust,  _À la recherche du temps perdu_,
        tr. C. K. Scott Moncrieff