[r-t] Definition of a peal

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Thu Aug 7 01:21:18 UTC 2008

Don Morrison wrote:

> To say "we can't allow this because it would make writing
> our tools too difficult" is exactly what got us into the
> current prescriptive situation.

Except with method extension, where, to my knowledge, no-one
has managed to write a computer program to find valid
extensions that properly follows the criteria in the
decisions.  Specifically, the requirement that the extension
must cover on an indefinite number of stages is problematic.

Making it difficult to write tools is one thing; making it
so damned difficult that no-one has any idea how to do it
without making possibly-unjustifiable assumptions is quite
another thing.

RAS