[r-t] Anything Goes vs Peals Mean Something

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Fri Aug 8 21:04:50 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Mark Davies <mark at snowtiger.net> wrote:
> The fact that you can't ring a true 5040 of Grandsire Triples with
> conventional bobs only is a *good* thing. "There is no bobs only peal of
> Grandsire" is a statement that should stand in the annals of ringing for all
> time,

But that's not true, at least not within the current officially blessed
Decision. There have been multiple peals of Grandsire Triples. Both
5040s with two kinds of bobs, and at least one 10,080 with just common
bobs. And I believe I have a way of ringing a 5040 with just one kind
of bob, that meets current muster, though it is rather a bad cheat.

The statement you want is "You can't ring a true extent of Grandsire
Triples with the usual kinds of bobs only".

Or am I missing something?

"In wishing to apply verbal analysis to poetry the position of the the
critic is like that of the scientist wishing to apply determinism to
the world."                -- William Empson, _Seven Types of Ambiguity_