[r-t] Anything Goes vs Peals Mean Something

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Sat Aug 9 14:29:24 UTC 2008

RAS writes,

> There's a big difference.  By ringing Cambridge and calling it Original,
> you are exploiting the loophole simply because it's there: there's no need
> to exploit the loophole. That's very different from being forced to use a
> silly description simply in order to get it accepted.

No, you misunderstand Richard. I think a peal as we're describing (rung on
two stages, with two partial extents false against each other at the higher
stage) is false. If someone rings something like that, it's false. If they
can exploit some kind of loophole to pretend it's true, well that's not
ideal. Maybe we should reserve the right to chuck out stuff that appears to
be technically legal? A bit like the objection on grounds of quality.

I'm not sure your "treat individual changes as methods" loophole actually
works, though. You can't have many methods that are a single change long.
Can you come up with an example? Even if possible, to me this would just be
dicking about to try and ring a false peal.

> But you said there was just one partial extent of minor. Yes, if you have
> lots of them, it's possible

Yes, one partial extent of Minor. It doesn't have to be rung in one
contiguous block, does it? That would be restrictive. But my point is, it
might be acceptable to spread an extent of Minor through a peal of Triples
by leads or courses, but not by individual changes. An extent of Minor
embedded in a peal of Triples via isolated changes should be treated as a
peal of Triples and proved at the higher stage, no? And if it's false at the
higher stage - sorry, it's false.

> A mixture of extents of minimus, doubles and minor, not run variable
> cover.  You don't allow that, and Don does.

Yes, that's the example I came up with isn't it. It's the "Triples and
Singles" - basically you can ring a false peal of Triples like this. Which
is why I think it should be ruled out, on grounds of truth. Triples and
Minor good, if whole extents are rung, reasonably interleaved (whole leads
perhaps). Triples and lower stages - no, looks too much like a false peal of
Triples.