[r-t] Anything Goes vs Peals Mean Something

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Sun Aug 10 09:37:05 UTC 2008

RAS writes,

> Really?  I don't think the meaning of peal has ever been that simply
> defined.

Yes, your brief historical summary is probably pretty accurate. But no-one
can deny there is a clear and important link between the modern concept of
peal, and the length of the extent on seven. Surely no-one can deny that
extents are still important to our ringing today, either - as I said, all
our recent definitions of proof have referred to them.

I challenge you to find any important voice in our changeringing past who
would have agreed that a 5026 is a peal of Triples!

Hey Eddie - what are your thoughts on this?