[r-t] Anything Goes vs Peals Mean Something

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Sun Aug 10 20:56:47 UTC 2008

Ben writes,

> Then, this means that whether it is a peal or not depends on how you
> describe it, and I thought that it was the intention to avoid this sort of
> artificial ambiguity.

Err, I don't think you can ever avoid this, if you allow mixed-stage peals.
A peal of "Minor and Triples" is likely to be trivially false if you are
forced to describe it as a peal of Triples. If you can describe it as Minor
and Triples, well it's OK.

Allow mixed-stage peals and you allow two modes of description, and two
modes of proof. This is what we have been discussing. Stick with the plot
Ben. :-)