[r-t] How much of a method do you need to include? (was Proof

Matthew Frye matthew__100 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 11 10:01:43 UTC 2008

> Matthew writes,
>
>> Same rows, different peal because the rows come in a different order. At
>> this point you are acually changing what is rung and not just the
>> description/interpretation
>
> No: this is the point you've missed, I think. The rows come in the same
> order. The peal looks exactly like Stedman Triples, is rung like Stedman
> Triples, and is a false peal of Stedman Triples. But the thing is, you can
> look at isolated changes - say change numbers 523, 525, 527, 2246, 2248 and
> 2250 - and make an extent of Singles. Due to the structure of Stedman, look
> at changes 524, 526, 528, 2245, 2247 and 2249 and you've got another extent
> of Singles. You've now "extracted" two false sixes, so look at the rest of
> the peal and it's now true.
>
> Unless you add some rule about partitioning into stages by methods, or
> blocks, or structure of composition, then what I've described is possible,
> and is a means of "proving" a false peal and saying it's true against
> multiple stages.

Nope, still on different wavelengths, but i think i now know why. I understand what you are saying, but under the proposals as i currently understand, the stage of those rows is defined by what method they are and they are stedman and so they are of stage 7 and i was meaning was that that stage allocation is attached to every row, regardless of which groupings you put them in, so when you take your 2 lots of 6 rows out, you have 12 rows of stage 7, which obviously isn't true. I personally quite like having the stage becoming the property of a row, it gives the flexibility to allocate them to different groupings/extents at different stages freely without compromising on truth.
This is probably very closely related to what DFM was saying about rows and stages, and the need to define the differences and boundaries associated with them.